Text on two or more lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text on two or more lines

I'm often entering button text onto two lines. Here's an example from something I posted a few weeks ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Buttons.png Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	2739

In this case I wanted the word Sustain on the top line and the different kinds of legato on the second line. To achieve this with the first button I have to type in a whole bunch of spaces after the word "Sustain" otherwise "Classic" would appear on the top line. It would be useful to have a carriage return (Next line) function to go straight to the next line. It can't be done from the Keyboard as the return button is being used to complete the text entry. I don't know what function the backward arrow serves within the text box, but is it possible that it could be used as a carriage return?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Text Box.png Views:	0 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	2740

Last edited by David T; 09-16-2021, 05:07 PM.

David T I am afraid it is not possible - the label object in iOS doesn't support this behaviour. And the arrow button enables you to copy the text from macro actions to the button title.

Comment

Thanks Przemek. And now I know what the arrow button is for - and also what the macro button title is for! 😂

Comment

Ahhhh, I misunderstood you - apologies :-). Anyway, we can't insert a line break in the label object in iOS :-(.

Comment

But now with labels present, you can create a thin label above the buttons that says Sustain and leave the sustain out of the button text :-).

Comment

GMTA - I've already tried that. Unfortunately, the text has to be 2pts smaller to fit. And, to be fair, it reduces the button tapping area and also seems a bit disconnected - but I can see there will be opportunities to use that approach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_BC6D47B4D794-1.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2796

As an aside, I can get to 96 buttons (90 was my target) using the 24x24 grid and 2x3 buttons (the one on the left, above). The icon is larger and the new text sizing is very helpful in making the text fit.

Comment

How do you get the text wrapped on two lines? No matter how many spaces i put between words, or how long the text is, Metagrid Pro always ends it with ellipsis if the text doesn't fit the window. I understand it's not possibile to insert a carriage return, I just would like the text to go to a new line when it doesn't fit the button; probably I'm dumb but I can't find a way to do that

Originally posted by David T View Post
              I'm often entering button text onto two lines. Here's an example from something I posted a few weeks ago.

Click image for larger version Name:	Buttons.png Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	2739

In this case I wanted the word Sustain on the top line and the different kinds of legato on the second line. To achieve this with the first button I have to type in a whole bunch of spaces after the word "Sustain" otherwise "Classic" would appear on the top line. It would be useful to have a carriage return (Next line) function to go straight to the next line. It can't be done from the Keyboard as the return button is being used to complete the text entry. I don't know what function the backward arrow serves within the text box, but is it possible that it could be used as a carriage return?

Click image for larger version Name:	Text Box.png Views:	0 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	2740

Comment

• David T
                David T commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

You'll also need to take into account the button/label height and the text size. As a general rule, if you find there is still an ellipsis, try reducing the font size. I can generally get two or more lines of text that way. For example if I'm working with a Text label in the smallest possible grid height (1/24th), I can get two lines of text with text size 12. If I'm working with an icon/Text button that is 3/24ths high, I can get two lines of text with text size 14. With a text only button that is 3/24ths high I can get 3 lines of text with text size 18.

Thanks for your reply, but I can't get it to work. I made a an 8 horizontal by 24 vertical grid and merged 3 buttons to have a 3/24 height (I suppose that making an 8 by 8 grid should be the same) but If I choose the icon with text format the text is always on one line, doesn't matter the text size I choose, while on metagrid 1 it would automatically go two lines. I'm using a button didn't try with a label btw, but it's primary buttons that I'm interested now
              Last edited by Project; 10-13-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Definitely sounds like something is wrong. I've attached a zipped grid with the same 8x24 layout and a single icon/text button with two lines of text. If you import it, are you able to see the two lines or is it just one line?
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help. I see just one line and this happen with and without full screen mode on

Comment

• David T
                    David T commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Something's wrong then. What setup do you have? (Tablet / OS)

That's really strange indeed. Are you on iOS12?

Comment

No, I'm on iOS 14.7.1 running on an iPad 2018. When I import my Matagrid 1 content I have the same problem, the text doesn't wrap to a second line, dunno if this can be of help in tracing the cause of the problem. Could it be the Metagrid server version? Right now is 3.0 build 1021 on Mac OS 10.14
                    Last edited by Project; 10-14-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I tried with another iPad that has iOS 12.5.1 on it, the result is the same, text is always on one line. Could it be the iOS Language? (Italian on both iPads)

Comment

Working...
                      X