[IN PROGRESS] Icons and Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [IN PROGRESS] Icons and Text

First - thanks for the new build. There's a lot to get through and I'll test what I can over the next 2/3 days.

This is just a quick post about Icons / Text layouts.

This is an example of a button I'd like to have on the screen

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ideal Button.png Views:	3 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	2480

This is how the button looks in the new build

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Build Button.png Views:	3 Size:	13.1 KB ID:	2481

While we've got a better relationship between icon and text than the previous build, we've now lost a line of text and the icon is still too small, as is the text.

If it helps, this is the grid, based on what I saw in MG 1.6. I used the same layout for every button to define the space for text and icons - and also the text size. The icon fits in that top-central square and some icons come close to touching all four edges of that square. There is tolerance above the icon and tolerance above and below the lines of text.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ideal Button to grid.png Views:	3 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	2482

I realise the enormous difficulty you will have to of trying to make the relationship between icon and text fit into every possible grid permutation.
    Last edited by David T; 08-27-2021, 05:33 AM.

That's not an easy task to make it right - we will do further optimizations in the next Beta1 build.

Comment

David T We did some fine tuning for button layouts in build 10110. Do you find it more usable?

Comment

Thanks Przemek. To be honest, I hadn't noticed - I've been looking at the text side of things since 10110.

The icons in 10110 do seem to be a little bit larger, though but that may be because I've reduced the text size so the icons will look a bit larger anyway.

I'll look at it further and get back to you.

Comment

Hi Przemek,

I've taken a long look at this over the weekend and today - really getting into the detail of it all.

The bottom line is that the Icon / Text buttons in MG Pro have the space given over to the content of the button (a. The Icon b. The Text and c. Line spacing) come out at at just under 66% of the height of the button. In Metagrid 1.7 it was over 75% of the button. With the new addition of shape management in MG Pro it may be too difficult to achieve, but I think it's important, for many reasons, to achieve at least 75% of the space for content in Icon / Text buttons.

I can give you the full analysis on this and, if you're interested, some ideas as to how you might get to, and even past, 75%.

One last thought: A quick search on Google shows that Icon / Text buttons are far and away the most used button in Metagrid.

Comment

Working...
          X